Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Homemade Peppermint bath salts

I seen the idea for homemade peppermint bath salts on the Today show Monday morning and just knew I had to make some, for Christmas gifts and for home too! They were very low cost & simple to make, and turned out adorable!! 

Here's what you need, 4 lbs Epsom Salt, 1 container Sea Salt, red food coloring and Peppermint extract. 


 You also need clean, glass jars. I save every jar I buy all year long, salsa, spaghetti, etc just for things like this! 


 Split the salts in two halves and combine them, so you have two bowls of 1/2 Epsom Salt and 1/2 Sea Salt. In one bowl add the Peppermint extract, just a few drops, and enough red food color to make it pink. You will need to stir and add until the color and smell are to your liking!
 Then it's just like sand art! Add a little of each color, one at a time, alternating to make layers.
 Here are some of my jars. I was able to fill 22 jars with the supplies listed. This means it cost me about $12 for all 22 jars. I already had the jars, all I had to buy were the ingredients. That is a GREAT price for a home made Christmas present!
 I hot glued some peppermint material to the lid and tied a huge red bow around it, just to make it look pretty!

Here's a pic of most of the jars finished, I had already given some away before I got them all finished! I'm going to pick up some more ingredients to make more of these for a few other special people for Christmas, also just to have on hand as Thank You and Birthday gifts! I'm thinking I will make some for Birthdays in rainbow layers and the one for Thank Yous I will make in neutral colors like violet, blue, or pink! Each with matching ribbon and material covering the lids! Also I'm thinking I will use other extracts, like almond and vanilla, the possibilities are endless! Hope you enjoy these!!

No comments:

Post a Comment